Powered by Blogger.

Workshopping my book manuscript

Friday, May 7, 2010

Some of my readers here know that I've been working hard for a long time to find the best way to say what I want to say about reading and to find someone who wants to hear it (and publish it). This very blog is in part an expression of that. So is my book manuscript, Reading to Live: An Experiment with Joy in Eight Readings. This book has undergone a variety of changes over the past decade. Most recently, I've been trying to move it in the direction of something that would be accessible to an educated audience interested in serious discussions of books. However, I'm told that my current version still falls between two chairs: not rigorous enough to satisfy an academic audience and, at times at least, too rough a going for non-academics.

So I'd like to use this space, on occasion, to workshop the manuscript. A couple of weeks ago I posted the "Introduction". My thought is that I can trot the thing out in readable bits, in order of appearance, and -- hopefully -- get readers to give me feedback. I'd really like to know what works and what doesn't and why. To that end, a little later today is I'll post what follows the "Introduction." It is called "Prelude: A Story of Reading to Live". It is in three parts, so this will be just the first of those three.

I'm always grateful and excited to receive comments on my posts, but I'll be particularly thankful for feedback on the book manuscript as I post parts of it.

For easy reference: here is the table of contents for the book as it now stands:

Introduction

Prelude: A Story of Reading to Live


Part One: Learning Reading to Live
Reading One: Enjoying (On William Carlos Williams' "The Red Wheelbarrow")
Reading Two: Storytelling (On Phillip Pullman's His Dark Materials)
Reading Three: Reading (On Felisberto Hernández' "Except Julia")
Reading Four: Inventing (On Julio Cortázar's Image of John Keats and Hopscotch)

Interlude

Part Two: Reading to Live With Death
Reading Five: Fearing (On Yi Saek's "The White Snow")
Reading Six: Despairing (On Jorge Luis Borges' "The Aleph")

STILL TO COME:
Reading Seven: Dying (on Three Stories of Death by Horacio Quiroga)
Reading Eight: Living (on Roberto Arlt’s Mad Toy)

3 comments:

ADM May 7, 2010 at 11:51 AM  

Wow Yago, I love the way you title each section (each reading), and I am looking forward to read the parts you post here!!!!!

Lili May 7, 2010 at 12:47 PM  

Yago,
"The Red Wheelbarrow" was my first door to poetry ever. I'm looking forward to reading now why I enjoyed it so much so long ago! Very personally now, I would love to read your "reading to live Death" having only and very humbly tried to understand Heidegger's work about death.
Aurelie

Michael K. May 9, 2010 at 12:10 PM  

Having just finished Kierkegaard's _Either/Or_, and being myself a crack expert at the game, I am particularly excited to find out what Borges might have to say about despair.

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template The Beach by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP